Sunday, February 12, 2012

Reader Question #1 Special Needs Kids

Kids

"You have children with special needs. I use special needs to cover a broad spectrum of medical diagnosis. This can be hard at times to deal with as a parent and a mother. How do you deal with this? The emotional side that us as women tend to feel?"

I really have never used the term "deal" when it comes to my kids and their needs. It makes it sound like the diagnosis are intrusive on my life. That's just part of my over thinking I am sure. Really, when it comes to kids with special needs it really impacts both parents and siblings. I have always just carried on like there was nothing different between my kids but, knowing there really is.
There are times when things can be emotionally draining. When kids have hospital stays or get medicated for the first time. For me, because I am an overthinkier...I felt like I had somehow failed as a parent. Maybe my emotional state during pregnancy transferred to them and other thoughts like that. I have learned to go with the flow and think of them. Think of how these things impact their lives, not mine. A friend gave me insight on that once. Once I let that go, how it makes me feel and get into my kids head...things have been progressively easier. Easier in that I can be at ease, with caution of course in getting certain treatments for my kids.
For our family it's been great to have doctors and psychiatrists working hand in hand. If you have children with special needs, and are frustrated or overwhelmed just imagine for a moment how they must feel.
Now ask me how I deal with a husband who may have similar needs....


Love
Momma

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the insight. It has been very hard for me at times with Kayleigh. Always knowing that something was wrong and fighting to get her diagnosed. Now that we know she has a moderate to severe Auditory Processing Disorder its even harder. We as a family have to get into a new routine of doing things in order to help her progress yet frustration builds on all sides. Its even more emotional when you are told that everything you are doing to help your child holds a strong possibility it may not help. She may never grow out of this. Like yo0u I tend to over-think.

    ReplyDelete