Sunday, November 3, 2013

Dia De Los Muertos




I was rather sick yesterday evening, so I didn't get to blog. I didn't get to finish up all the projects with my kids, but that is okay. 
This is the first year we've celebrated. We paid honor to both my grandfathers. The landscape picture is my Grandpa Lara. He passed away when I was pregnant with my now seven year old son. I don't remember much about him before I was in junior high. But, after that I remember a lot. He lived with my nana and papa (actually they were my aunt and uncle). He liked sweet breads, coffee and minestrone soup. He liked to read the paper and western books. He liked to watch Perry Mason and old westerns. He was accepting of people just the way they are. He was greatly loved and before he passed there were five generations of Laras.
 

The portrait picture is my Grandpa Rios. He was a Korean War Veteran. He was in the Army band. He passed away when I was in 9th grade. I felt the moment of his passing, we were close. He liked to read, eat spicy food and like my Granpa Lara, work in his yard. He took me to get my first library card
I'd visit him in the summer. When he worked at Eisenhower Hospital we'd go and feed the ducks. He'd take me to to get giant dill pickles from the deli and ice cream at night.

I love my grandpas still.

Skulls were made by my daughter Maggie.

Who did you honor?

No comments:

Post a Comment